Friday 1 June 2012

More fencing and table tennis.

For my Gold Challenge this week I did another 2 sports sessions. On Wednesday I did another session of fencing. Don't you think I look rather fetching in all my gear? During this week's session it did take it's toll a little bit on my knee and I had to sit out of the free fencing at the end, but managed to do most of it and am learning more and
more. We have been learning different attacking and defensive moves and I am slowly getting used to all the parrying, blocking etc. The fencing beginner's course is really good, Cotswold Fencing Club run them a few times a year and they are a great taster to the sport. They are trying to make fencing more accessable as most people only get the oppertunity to do fencing at public school or university and they're doing a great job. The club is doing really well. It's my last week doing fencing next week (there is another week of the course but I am away with work so can't make the last week) so will have to make a big effort next week (and make sure that knee is strapped up well!)
On Thursday I went along to Cheltenham Premier Table Tennis Club (yes, I found it this time). The Club play in the sports halls of Cheltenham (was ladies) College, this one was in the junior school. I arrived exactly at 7pm and was a little concerned that there was only me and the coach there but within 10 minutes the hall was full. We had about 10 tables and they all had at least 2 people playing. There were a few seniors playing in a mini league and about 20 children playing too. I was surprised by the numbers there. I started off playing with the club secretary, even though I knew he was going very easy on me I was happy I was able to keep the rallies going and wasn't making a complete arse of myself. When he went off to play his league match I was left with the coach and got about an hour of 1-1 training. My earlier confidence was quickly gone when I realised how tough table tennis is. I managed to adequately do forehand and backhand serves and managed a few spins. He did try and help me do a return shot I can only call the 'swish' as that's what you do with your hips. I failed quite miserably. That's my aim for my next session, to master the swish. They're shut for half term next week so I'll be back for my final session the week after.

I have a few more sports planned for next week. Going to an athletics open meeting on Monday to do some throws (not up for running yet). Any athletes got any hints? It has been many years since I picked up a shot put, then on Wednesday I have my final fencing session. That will take me to 10 events- half way there! The next Monday Steve and I are going to do a session of rifle shooting, am quite excited about that. Over the last few days I have been emailing local sports clubs. I have contacted the kayaking, gymnastics and (gulp) diving. I am scared about doing diving but it will be a real achievment if I can do a proper dive by the end of it (from of course a lower board). Luckily 5metre is their highest as I wouldn't go near a 10metre!

As usual I have my little beg for sponsorship at the bottom. I am aiming to raise £2012 by the opening ceremony for Dementia UK, even if you can only sponsor me a pound it all helps.You can sponsor me here. If you don't want to sponsor me online you can tweet, FB me or email me at littlebethan@yahoo.co.uk and I can give you the details.

Thank you :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment